Here is a look at how I booked my 2-week honeymoon for my fiancé and me for only $850. We’ll be heading to Tokyo, Osaka , Taipei, and Hong Kong.
I wanted to fly business class on Hainan Airlines to review the experience, but they don’t fly out of New York — so I booked the flights out of Boston. I needed a re-positioning flight to Boston so I booked a flight out of Newark, NJ on JetBlue. There is a 5 hour layover in Beijing (PEK) and initially thought about spending a few days there on a free stopover but decided to devote more days to Japan.
We are arriving in Tokyo in Japan and will be traveling overland with a departure from Osaka onward to Taipei. The bulk of our trip will be spent in Japan.
At the time of writing there wasn’t business class availability on Cathay Pacific from Taipei (TPE) to Newark, NJ (EWR) so I booked the flights in premium economy. The flight connects in Hong Kong so I chose to do a free layover for 2 days there. Strangely enough, when I priced out this segment in dollars on the Cathay Pacific website it was cheaper to book two one-way tickets than to book a single multi-city itinerary.
Our final flight itinerary is: Newark, NJ (EWR) – Boston, MA (BOS) – Tokyo (HND) – Osaka (KIX) – Taipei (TPE) – Hong Kong (HKG) – Newark, NJ (EWR)
Here’s what it would have cost if I paid outright for the tickets for 2 people:
- EWR to BOS in economy would have cost $140
- BOS to HND in business class would have cost $7,581.80
- KIX to TPE in business class would have cost $2,875.90
- TPE to HKG in premium economy would have cost $1,034.39
- HKG to EWR in premium economy would have cost $4,567.71
For these exact flight segments the dollar amount would have been $16,199.80.
Here’s what I spent on the flights:
- EWR – BOS. 8,200 JetBlue TrueBlue points and $11.20
- BOS – HND. 100k Alaskan Airline miles and $531.80. Stopover in Beijing was possible for the same price.
- KIX – TPE. 30,000 British Airways Avios points and $64.80.
- TPE – HKG – EWR. 70k Alaskan Airlines miles and $239.32 on these segments. Hong Kong is considered a free stopover for this award booking.
Total cost for flights were a bunch of miles/points and $847.12 for 2 people.
- 4 nights at the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo would have been $740. I used 40k Starwood points.
- 2 nights at the Westin Miyako Kyoto would have been $375. I used 20k Starwood points.
- 2 nights as the Sheraton Miyako Osaka would have been $378. I used 14k Starwood points.
- 2 nights at the Hotel Proverbs Taipei would have been $432. I used 24k Starwood points.
- 2 nights at the Mira Hong Kong would have been $524. I used 24k Starwood points.
The hotels would have cost $2,449. I spent 122,000 Starwood points for all the hotel nights. Taxes and fees are generally included in award stays so there’s minimal to no out of pocket dollar cost for the hotel stays.
If I had paid cash for the exact same itinerary it would have cost about $18,650, but with a combination of airline miles and hotel points I spent out of pocket about $850. We’re looking forward to this trip, and I’ll post another update soon.